Did you know cooking is the leading cause of household fires in the U.S., accounting for 49% of all home fires? This is why Montgomery County fire companies are hosting open houses to support the 2023 Fire Prevention Week theme, “Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention.”
This year’s Fire Prevention Week runs from October 8 through October 14. Fire companies across Montgomery County are encouraging residents to learn about fire safety by hosting free, family-friendly community events.
“Fire Prevention Week is an opportunity to spread awareness and knowledge on fire safety,” said President of Montgomery County Fire Chiefs Association George Wilmot III. “It’s also a way for residents to learn more about their local fire company and how they can get involved with it.”
Fun For All Ages at Your Local Fire Company’s Fire Prevention Event
Towamencin Volunteer Fire Company
- When: Thursday, October 5 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Location: Towamencin Fire Company, 1590 Bustard Rd. Lower Salford Township.
- Details: Watch live rescue demonstrations and operate fire hoses. Tour the station and try on firefighting gear. Learn about fire safety from first responders.
Centre Square Fire Company
- When: Friday, October 6 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (rain date Saturday, October 7).
- Location: Wentz Run Park, 960 Wentz Road, Blue Bell.
- Details: Learn various ways of preventing kitchen fires, how to use a fire extinguisher and how to create a family escape plan. Watch live demonstrations including vehicle rescue. Ladder trucks, pumpers, helicopters and other emergency vehicles will be on display.
Elkins Park Fire Company
- When: Friday, October 6, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Location: Elkins Park Fire Company, 7818 Montgomery Avenue, Elkins Park.
- Details: Tour the fire station, check out the trucks and try on gear. There will be live demonstrations and activities, raffles and food to enjoy.
Abington Township Fire Department
Abington Township Fire Department’s five fire companies; Abington, McKinley, Roslyn, Weldon and Edge Hill will host an open house from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. each day of the week.
- Monday, October 9: Abington Fire Company, 1920 Horace Ave., Abington.
- Tuesday, October 10: McKinley Fire Company, 893 Jenkintown Rd., Elkins Park.
- Wednesday, October 11: Roslyn Fire Company, 1128 Bradfield Rd., Roslyn.
- Thursday, October 12: Weldon Fire Company, 412 N. Easton Rd., Glenside.
- Friday, October 13: Edge Hill Fire Company, 2843 Limekiln Pike, North Hills.
- Details: Watch hands-on demonstrations, tour the fire trucks, learn safety tips and meet local firefighters. Participate in exciting activities, including giveaways, and enjoy tasty snacks.
Barren Hill, Harmonville, and Plymouth Fire Companies and Conshohocken Fire Department
- When: Wednesday, October 11 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Location: Quaker Park, 1001 East Hector Street, Whitemarsh Township
- Details: Demonstrations including vehicle rescue, cooking fires and dive team operations with water. Meet local firefighters and learn about fire prevention.
Swedesburg Volunteer Fire Company
- When: Wednesday, October 11 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Location: Giant Food Store, 310 S. Henderson Road, King of Prussia.
- Details: Watch live demonstrations including vehicle rescue, live fire, medical helicopter and water rescue. Learn about fire prevention with handout materials while enjoying delicious food and beverage. Fire apparatus on display can be toured.
Jenkintown Fire Department
- When: Thursday, October 12 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Location: Between Pioneer and Independent Fire Stations on the 600 Block of Greenwood Ave, Jenkintown.
- Details: Meet first responders, extinguish an oven and stove fire, try on firefighting gear, tour and touch a truck and learn about Fire Prevention Week safety tips from Jenkintown’s first responders.
New Hanover Volunteer Fire & Rescue Services
- When: Thursday, October 12 from 6:00 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Location: New Hanover Volunteer Fire & Rescue Services, 2154 Swamp Pike, Gilbertsville.
- Details: Watch live demonstrations including vehicle rescue and a stove fire. Enter to win a fire truck ride to school and tour EMS, police and fire safety vehicles.
Gilbertsville Fire and Rescue Company
- When: Thursday, October 12 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Location: Gilbertsville Fire and Rescue Company, 1456 E Philadelphia Ave, Gilbertsville, PA 19525
- Details: Meet first responders, watch live demonstrations and learn safety tips tying in with the Fire Prevention Week theme “Cooking safety starts with YOU.”
George Clay Fire Company
- When: Saturday, October 14 from 11 a.m. to 3pm.
- Location: George Clay Fire Company, 426 Ford Street, West Conshohocken.
- Details: Learn how to use a fire extinguisher and put out a grease fire. Watch live demonstrations. Receive free George Clay Fire Company swag and informative pamphlets to keep your fire safety knowledge sharp.
Fort Washington Fire Company
- When: Monday, October 16 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Location: Upper Dublin High School, 800 Loch Alsh Avenue, Fort Washington.
- Details: Watch demonstrations such as live burn and vehicle rescue. Participate in a scavenger hunt, giveaways and learn how to target fire hoses. Meet your local firefighters from roughly 30 surrounding fire companies. Visit the main entrance and hallways for fun and educational information for all ages.
More fire prevention events are being scheduled, so check your local fire company’s website for updates. For kitchen fire safety tips in conjunction with this year’s fire prevention theme, visit www.montcofirefighters.org.
Interested in volunteering with your local fire company? Visit to www.montcofirefighters.org/contact-2/ to fill out an inquiry form or learn more.